Updated: Feb 4
The biggest problem that small business owners face is finding customers and driving sales. Product based businesses invest substantially in materials and production and need to move their products quickly and efficiently. Sellers of consumer products often find themselves going back and forth on whether they should sell on Amazon. Of course, there are many other channels of sale. But Amazon does hold over 50% market share of all US ecommerce sales. Sellers get access to Amazon’s large customer base. Selling on Amazon also has some risks – one of them being that a seller’s listing could be hijacked by a competitor selling knockoffs or an unauthorized reseller could create a negative customer experience. Amazon has a program to combat this risk called the Amazon Brand Registry.
Amazon Brand Registry is available to sellers who sell their own branded products. Registering the brand proves that the seller is the owner and once approved the seller gets the protections that Amazon offers to brands. There certainly are many benefits of enrolling in the Amazon Brand Registry:
1. It gives brand owners access to a dedicated team to handle reported infringements and violations.
2. Brand owners have more control over Amazon product pages that use the brand name, so customers are more likely to see the correct information associated with the brand.
3. Brand owners get increased visibility by using enhanced brand content, Amazon stores and sponsored brands. As a result, brand owners will see increased sales.
The best part of this program is that there is no additional cost to set up the Brand Registry. There are some requirements to qualify.
1. An active trademark registration will be required. In some countries like the US, Amazon also accepts pending trademark applications.
2. The trademark must contain text. If the trademark is image based, it should include words, letters or numbers. Just a logo design does not qualify.
3. The seller must show use of the trademark on the products or packaging.
The information required to enroll is:
1. The US trademark application serial number or registration number.
2. Images of products or packaging incorporating the trademark.
3. The product categories in which Amazon should include the brand.
4. Countries in which the products are manufactured and distributed.
The trademark application process is long and could take between 8 and 12 months until registration. The process begins with conducting a search to see if your brand is available to be trademarked and doesn’t conflict with other brands and registrations. The application is a legal document, and you must complete it correctly for it to pass the examination. The USPTO will reject applications that do not conform to legal standards. I recommend you consult with an attorney to maximize your chances of approval by the trademark office.
At Nupur Shah Law, we help with trademark applications and prosecution. We help with reviewing your work and determining the best possible protection available to you. Call us at 646-820- 1366 or email us at email@example.com. I am happy to have a complimentary conversation with you on how to secure your rights.
Working with an attorney to secure your business can help avoid trouble later on. Nupur Shah Law can help you if you have questions about your business.